May 25, 2010

Warm Fuzzies

A few months back, I noticed our three children were in need of a reminder to act more kindly towards one another. So using kind of a twist on a jar of "warm fuzzies" President Monson mentioned in his talk, "What Have I Done For Someone Today," my husband and I decided this just might be the ticket we needed to reinforce the kindness that sometimes seemed to be lacking in our household. We expained to our children one night that we were going to start a warm fuzzy jar. Every time we caught them doing something nice for us or for each other, without being asked, they would get to place a warm fuzzy inside of a glass flower vase (that frankly never got much use). When it was filled to the top with warm fuzzies, we would all get to go out for ice cream as a family (Yes, we sometimes believe in bribing our children!!! LOL).

During the last few months they have filled the vase all the way to the top with warm fuzzies one time and we were able to go to an ice cream place of their choice. They are currently working on filling it up again, only this time they have asked our family treat to be Happy Meals.

This vase of warm fuzzies has served as a great reminder to my children that it's important to look for ways to be kind to each other and some days they really get into it, going out of their way to do something kind for someone. Even our youngest, who is 2, gets a chance to add warm fuzzies to the vase. She shares her favorite toys, gives hugs, and has even cleared her plate after a meal without being reminded.

Putting together a warm fuzzy jar is very simple.
Supplies Needed:
  • Vase, canning jar, old mayonaise or jam jar, etc.

  • Colorful Pom Pom Balls (I purchased mine at Michaels but I've seen them even cheaper at The Dollar Tree or in the dollar section at Target.)

I also added a little saying I printed off the computer and taped onto the side of my vase that says,"Kindness Begins With Me". Our children are like little sponges and I hope they are learning while they are young to be kind and to think of ways to serve one another daily.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...